• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Is there anything that can cure snoring?

I<3 tabs

Bluelighter
My gf snores like a fucking wildebeast at night and i'm a light sleeper so as you can see, this isn't working out too well. I told her I wanna find her something that will keep her from snoring and she said "ok".

But here's the catch, it can't be anything pharmaceutical because shes about 1 month pregnant.

Can anybody help me?

My performance at work is declining drastically because of my lack of sleep and where I stay at (her parents house), its not like I can just relocate to the couch or the next room or anything.

CPAP machines work wonders, although they take some getting used to for the wearer.

Get some ear plugs. :)

Lol I don't know why I didn't think of that, I already have some earplugs but i'm a little worried that i might roll over and one of them suckers is gonna get jammed in there a little too far.

Maybe I should just find some of the regular ass foam ear plugs

Severe snoring can be indicative of other health problems though, and generally keeps the the person snoring from getting a proper, deep sleep. I'd really suggest that your GF look into a CPAP, or at least gets a sleep study done.

Is it from congestion? Because if it is, there are a lot of ways to take care of that. Neti pot, wasabi, ginger, hot showers, eating less dairy and sugar, etc.

Some things that minimize minor snoring:

1. Are you overweight? Excess weight in the upper body area can put stress on the breathing passages. Lose weight, exercise, avoid big meals at night.

2. Don't smoke or be around smokers.

3. Do breathing exercises. An uncle of mine was completely relieved of his snoring by his breathing exercises in singing class. They strengthened his muscles, and also gave him the habit of drinkinng ginger tea to clear his vocal passageway. He used to snore like a beast, but now, completely quiet in the night.

Lol I don't know why I didn't think of that, I already have some earplugs but i'm a little worried that i might roll over and one of them suckers is gonna get jammed in there a little too far.

Maybe I should just find some of the regular ass foam ear plugs

Depending on where I am I'll sometimes sleep with foam ear plugs in and have never had a problem like that. They work wonders in fact.

Nose strips work well for me unless I've been hitting the sauce (in which case nothing will work).

Not that this is a permanent solution, as its not treating the source, but when my ex used to snore really loud I'd just roll him over on his side. You could probably put pillows behind her so she can't roll back onto her back. That always made him stop.

the chances that i snore are greatly increased if i sleep on my back. i make a conscious effort to go to sleep on my side or front. but should i slip, wifey just gives me a good wack with a fist. doesn't wake me, but i do stop snoring.

theres a thing you can get that you put in your mouth.. like a mouthguard looking thingy. i just seen the commercials on tv, but if you try to mimic what it does, it seems to make sense...and works

do this:
relax all your face, jaw and neck muscles (as you would be while asleep) and then try forcing just your lower jaw forward or out ahead of the rest of your face, then breath in and out through your nose... or your mouth even. then (again with all your face, jaw and neck muscles relaxed) try breathing normally.
it seems that when your jaw is in the normal position (or if laying on your back, an even worse position, saging downward, wide open) your breathing is impaired or blocked slightly be something in your throat (some "soft pallet" according to the tv commercial). moving the lower jaw forward moves this "soft pallet" out of the way and allows for the air to move more freely through the airways.

i dont snore, but just thought this might help someone maybe. i remember thinking it was pretty cool and would actually work when i saw the commercial and tried it as the host explained. so who knows..

then again sleeping all night with your jaw forced forward like an ape might not be all that comfortable and perhaps could cause you to keep that ape look permanently after prolonged use ? LOL

just my worthless 2 cents..